Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Proud Mother Moment

Last night our little homeschool group held a recital. My daughter played Mary had a little lamb on the piano (and sang it too).

If you knew how hard this was for her, you would be proud too. She was absolutely shaking! While we were sitting waiting for her turn she said, “Can we pray for me to be brave?” And we did. And she was.

SugarBean began to learn the piano a few months ago. We only have a keyboard to practice on and she doesn’t actually have lessons...we just follow the book. A good friend of mine, who knows her piano stuff, checks her progress every now and then.

Two years ago, our group held their very first recital. My daughter was only 5 then and she recited The Purple Cow, by Gelett Burgess (a very cute 4 line poem). I remember watching the nerves grow as she waited for her turn. It got to the point that she burst out with, “Why did you sign me up for this? You shouldn’t have signed me up for this!!” But the fact is, I was hesitant to sign her up, she wanted to do it. Or so she thought. I guess seeing the crowd and the little stage is daunting. Anyway, scared and all, she went through with it. I think she only made it half way up the stairs to the stage and said the poem right there, with her head leaning on the railing. But she did it!

Fast forward to last night, she stood on the stage and told everyone what she would be playing and that she would be playing two verses! She even made a small mistake at the beginning and just started over. She sang too!

As you can tell, I am very happy. I think everyone there, who knows her personality, was happy too.

She did practically bolt off the stage at the end. I forgot to practice waking slowly! It was cute though.

I tried to capture the whole thing on camera, but I pressed the wrong button. I got nothing! A friend taped it, and they are going to make a copy. I wanted to send it to the grand parents.

Overcoming fears is so hard, even for us grown ups. I’m very pleased that this 7 year old was able to do it. Yay for her!

1 comment:

  1. How sweet Stacy! I just started my 10 yr old in piano lessons. It is going to be so much fun when he has his first recital.

    It's been awhile since I have visited your blogs. This blogger one sure looks nice! And you have your own domain name now! Wonderful!

    Blessings,

    Ali

    ReplyDelete