Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Homemade Instant Oatmeal

We don't usually eat instant oatmeal, however, I wanted some for our recent trip. I couldn't bring myself to buy the regular stuff at the store...it has way too much sugar, as well as other weird ingredients!

After a google search for homemade instant oatmeal. I settled on a recipe from stretcher.com.

I didn't do a price break down, but I did buy mostly organic ingredients from the bulk bins at the health food store. I felt good about feeding it to my kids and know it would be cheaper than buying organic instant oatmeal.

Here are the basic steps to make Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

You will need:

Makes 8 servings
  • 3 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup chopped dried apples
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 8 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • salt
  • 8 ziplock bags.
Blend 1 cup oats in a food processor until powdery (can blend 1/2 cup at a time in the blender).

Photobucket

This helps make the oatmeal thick.

To assemble:
In each ziplock bag put the following:

  • 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
  • 2 Tbsp. powdered oats
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped dried apples
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar (I thought this was a little sweet. Next time I'll reduce to 1/2 Tbsp.)
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • To serve: Pour contents of packet into a bowl. Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup boiling water (depending on how thick you like your oatmeal - more water for thinner oats, less water for thick). Stir and let stand for 2 minutes.

    Find more variations here

    If you are interested in how much is saved making your own oatmeal packets, the simple dollar has a good visual guide and cost breakdown here

    No comments:

    Post a Comment